Many sales and presales practitioners say they are skilled at doing Discovery – but are they?
Where are you on this progression?
Here’s a simple method to assess, based on six levels of increasing proficiency, culminating in a seventh level – an integrated Discovery Methodology:
- Level 1: Uncovers statements of pain.
- Level 2: Uncovers pain and explores more deeply.
- Level 3: Uncovers pain, explores deeply, broadens the pain and investigates the impact.
- Level 4: Uncovers pain, explores and broadens, investigates impact and quantifies.
- Level 5: Uncovers pain, explores and broadens, investigates impact, quantifies and reengineers vision.
- Level 6: Applies these skills to the broad range of customers represented across the Technology Adoption Curve, including “burn victims”, disruptive and new product categories, highly transactional sales cycles, and other scenarios.
- Level 7: Integrates and aligns the skills above into a cohesive Discovery methodology.